I watched all the election coverage yesterday and it was interesting no doubt. Mostly I tuned in on Denocracy Now!, ignoring the TV since it is an instrument of propaganda (unless my roomate tuned in to WETA which showed Democracy Now!) So, I wrote a post election analysis about the war criminal Obama winning
Don’t Let Barack Obama Break Your Heart
Wisconsin Elects First Openly Gay Senator
How Long Did You Have to Wait to Vote?
Elizabeth Warren wins but remember she is a warmonger (http://interestingblogger.wordpress.com/2012/03/19/the-truth-about-elizabeth-warren/)
Welcome Back to Congress, Rep. Alan Grayson
Independent Angus King Projected to Win Maine Senate Race
Live Election Blog
Community Organizers Fill a Large Gap in Superstorm Sandy Relief, but It’s Not Enough
Ohio ballot troubles could delay official resilt for weeks!
Election Day Report: The People’s Emergency http://occupywallst.org/article/election-day-report-peoples-emergency/
FROM GERMANY: WHY AMERICA HAS ALREADY LOST TODAY’S ELECTION
How Early Voting Prevented Ohioans choosung between their payckeck and their vote
A Chat with Counterterrorism Chief John Brennan
“Six-Strikes” BitTorrent Crackdown May Target Private Trackers
UK Government To Inspect Google’s Failed Downranking of “Pirate” Sites
That’s about it folks!
Here’s today’s top stories:
- 972 Magazine: US Elections: No endorsement (Obama hasn’t given a damn about the Palestinians): http://972mag.com/u-s-elections-no-endorsement/58330/
- High Times: Interview with Russell Means about an independent Lakota nation: http://hightimes.com/entertainment/dskye/5568
- FDL: Drone protesters arrested in New York state: http://my.firedoglake.com/davidswanson/2012/10/25/drone-war-protesters-arrested-at-hancock-air-field/
- CounterPunch: Does the “Consumer” Financial Protection Bureau care about consumers? (should be called the Capitalist Financial Protection Bureau): http://www.counterpunch.org/2012/10/25/consumer-protector-caves-to-the-banks/
- Truthdig: The entitlement crisis that isn’t (Social Security isn’t in crisis) http://www.truthdig.com/eartotheground/item/the_entitlement_crisis_that_isnt_20121023/
- Washington’s Blog: Obama and Romney’s foreign policy is identical: http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2012/10/presidential-debates-prove-that-obama-and-romneys-foreign-policy-is-identical.html
- Informed Comment: Open Source Center Reports from Sept. 12 on Libya Consulate Attack Support Crowd Protests: http://www.juancole.com/2012/10/open-source-center-reports-from-sept-12-on-consulate-attack-support-crowd-protests.html
- Occupy.com: Happy 158th! Revisiting the Socialism of Oscar Wilde: http://www.occupy.com/article/happy-158th-revisiting-socialism-oscar-wilde
- Occupy.com: Learn to Safeguard Internet Privacy Like You’re 007: http://www.occupy.com/article/learn-safeguard-internet-privacy-youre-007
- Occupy.com: First Foreclosure Town Hall Kicks off in Northern California: http://www.occupy.com/article/first-foreclosure-town-hall-kicks-northern-california
- War in Context: Nick Turse: Big maps, big dreams, and the failure of the Obama doctrine: http://warincontext.org/2012/10/25/nick-turse-big-maps-big-dreams-and-the-failure-of-the-obama-doctrine/
- Electronic Intifada: Israel’s starvation diet for Gaza: http://electronicintifada.net/content/israels-starvation-diet-gaza/11810
- TomDispatch: U.S. Africa Command Debates TomDispatch (they actually read it, hahah): http://www.tomdispatch.com/blog/175574/U.S._Africa_Command_debates_tomdispatch_debate
- TomDispatch: Democratic Mockpocalypse: How Big Can One Election Get?: http://www.tomdispatch.com/post/175608/tomgram%3A_engelhardt%2C_the_supersizing_of_american_politics/
- Mercola: Rice Farmers Suing Drug Company and Poultry Industry for Contaminating Their Crop with Arsenic: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/10/25/rice-farmers-sue-drug-companies.aspx
- Consortium News: Weighing Foreign Policy Choices: http://consortiumnews.com/2012/10/24/weighing-foreign-policy-choices/
- Religion News Service: Neither Obama nor Romney? Some Christians vote for ‘None of the Above’: http://www.religionnews.com/politics/election/neither-obama-nor-romney-some-christians-vote-for-none-of-the-above
I hope you enjoy these.Updates from my drug war website: Does pot beat recessions? In a broadcast of CBS’s show, 60 Minutes, Matt Cook who is the the head of enforcement at the Colorado Department of Revenue says that the medical marijuana “industry has helped Denver beat the recession.” Specifically, Cook says that there was an excess of $20 million in tax revenues and it slightly lowered unemployment numbers, causing people in the community to not favor “criminal enforcement of marijuana [laws].” http://52325544.nhd.weebly.com/debate.html Some new pages: http://52325544.nhd.weebly.com/background.html http://52325544.nhd.weebly.com/reform-or-resist.html http://52325544.nhd.weebly.com/the-war-on-pot.html http://52325544.nhd.weebly.com/the-reefer-rebellion.html
You may have realized by now that today’s top stories are really yesterday, but what does that matter. When I say, the revolution will be televised, I’m referring to a Gil-Scott Heron song named “the revolution will not be televised.”
Now to the headlines…
CounterPunch:America is on the cusp of fascism. Just like what Cornel West said when he spoke of “creeping fascism” in America,according to Norman Pollack,all thefactors are “already present…in America–superbly disguised…rhetoric of liberalism…Mr. Obama’s presidency”
Democracy Now!: The European Union was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize earlier today for its historic role in uniting the continent despite its push for huge austerity in the region and its ties to NATO (the arm of the 1%):
Democracy Now!: Just like with the Presidential Debate, Democracy Now! expanded the VP debate to the VPs of the Justice Party and the Green Party USA. Sadly, once again Alex Mendoza, the VP of the Socialist Party USA (Stewart Alexander is his running mate) was excluded…
CounterPunch: On Wasting Your Vote. A disturbing number of Americans are going to end up wasting their votes in this next election. They’re unhappy with the status quo, but instead of changing it, they’re only going to reinforce it.
Counter Punch: You think Obama is on your side? As one song I listened to said, “Obama works for Goldman Sachs, he won’t save you!” Obama has
Expanded the National Security State
Democracy Now!: Guess who else has drones? Hezbollah! Guess where they flew one over? Israel? This is what the drone wars the American empire commits, causes…
The Real News: What they didn’t talk about in the VP debate.The moderator didn’t question the right of US to project global power; no discussion about the cause of the crash or the the power of the big banks
The Real News: US and Israel recognize that Iran is not near a nuclear weapon, yet sanctions that hurt the ordinary people of Iran continue…
The Real News:Supreme Court finds Telecoms won’t be prosecuted for illegal wiretapping
Occupy.com:Awakening from the Dream: The Real Facts on Fukushima. Japan is facing a nuclear crisis - with a second earthquake-induced catastrophe looming on the horizon - that neither government nor business is confronting honestly.
Zero Hedge: What the European Union is such a god awful idea
Truthdig:Barack Obama must have done something right, or the hucksters at Goldman Sachs wouldn’t hate him so.
Truthdig: No Room for the Poor in This Election (that’s not good!)
Truthdig:Is It Time to Revisit Compulsory Voting? Tea partyers would kick and scream over it, but the idea of compulsory voting is not foreign to American soil. In other countries, it’s been shown to increase democratic participation into the 90-percent-plus range. Such a law in the U.S. would likely empower Democrats, who’ve traditionally won the votes of the poor and minorities.
Occupywallst.org: #globalNOISE is kicking off! A revolutionary coalition of social movements including Occupy, 15M, Real Democracy Now!, #YoSoy132, Blockupy, Strike Debt, and others are taking our collective indignation to the streets. We are banging pots and pans in hundreds of cities around the world in a massive show of global solidarity against debt, austerity, and neoliberal imperialism. Stay tuned for live international updates, but don’t just read about it: get banging!
972 Magazine:IDF declares Palestinian grazing lands closed military zone
Truthout: Only Organics Can Feed the Hungry World: Here’s Why
Truthout: Pinkwashing Fracking? How the Komen Board Is Cashing in on Shale Gas
FAIR: Factchecking the VP debate moderator (wrong about Medicare and Social Security going broke)
Wired Magazine:Feds Move Closer to Suing Google Over Search
Wired Magazine: Secret-spilling site WikiLeaks has moved millions of documents behind a paywall, prompting blowback from elements of an underground ally, the hacking group Anonymous, including one well-known member to conclude that it “cannot support anymore what WikiLeaks has become.”
Wired Magazine:New Election System Promises to Help Catch Voting-Machine Problems
Bread for the World: Almost 2 million young people who entered the United States as children have the opportunity, beginning this month, to become legal immigrants, fulfilling the aspirations of their families who brought them to the country without authorization. It’s a classic – if roundabout – story of the American Dream. It’s also the most important immigration policy reform since the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
NORML: This past Thursday, on the night of the Vice Presidential debates, NORMLtv caught up with Libertarian Party presidential candidate, Governor Gary Johnson, and asked him questions regarding his views on marijuana legalization. In the interview, he discusses what he would do in regards to the war on cannabis if he were elected, why politicians are hesitant to back reform measures, and how he got into the issue while serving as New Mexico’s governor.
That’s all I have. I hope you enjoy!
After weeks of painting Republican presidential contender Mitt Romney as a job-slashing corporate raider, President Obama and his re-election campaign are broadening their attack to include Romney’s record as Massachusetts governor, arguing his policies hurt the state.
Obama, in an impassioned campaign speech in Iowa last night, foreshadowed that shift in strategy when he said Romney had made his business experience the centerpiece of his candidacy but “doesn’t really talk about what he did in Massachusetts.”
The move marks a shift from the campaign’s recent main focus on Romney’s time as a private equity executive at Bain Capital aimed at casting him as more concerned with the wealthy than the middle class.
Credit: President Obama has his photo taken by supporters at a campaign rally at the Iowa State Fairgrounds in Des Moines, Iowa, May 24, 2012. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque
Its just a public relations battle. Next, Romney will attack Obama with the Jeramiah Wright stuff. Whoever wins in November will result in the national security state, not the 99%. This bickering back in forth is really just trival because Obama and Romney will not pursue the interests of the 1%, not everyone else.
The newly installed president of the Maldives is rejecting calls for a new election following last week’s coup. Mohamed Waheed Hussain Manik replaced Mohamed Nasheed last week after what Nasheed described as an armed coup. Nasheed was the first democratically elected president of the Maldives. On Sunday, Waheed said now was not the time for a new election.
Mohamed Waheed Hussain Manik: “I don’t agree that there is a need to go for a snap election at the moment, and we are not ready for it. The country is deeply divided. And we have—the political landscape has many potholes and deep rifts, and so these things have to be healed before we can actually have a meaningful free and fair election.”
Mohamed Nasheed has vowed to keep pushing for democracy in the Maldives.
Mohamed Nasheed: “I’m always worried about being arrested and beaten up and tortured. But we have to do what we have to do. I think the amount of the people that are always around us and the support that we are getting is creating a situation where it is very difficult for the police to drag me out.”
The 2008 election. The one when someone else should have been elected President other than Obama/Biden (but not McCain/Palin).
This is what could happen in 2012 if nothing changed and conservatives gain more in the Midwest. This is a map from the election of 1916 where Republicans (red) dominated that region as Democrats (blue) dominated the rest of the country.